Why should AA staff join the IDU?
The IDU is the only trade union recognised by the AA – we have what is known as a sole recognition agreement. This means we are the only trade union who can negotiate with the AA on behalf of AA staff collectively on the range of employment matters and crucially, on terms and conditions of employment.
Why is this important?
You need a strong trade union to protect your job. You also need your interests protected whilst you’re in it. That means looking after your pay, your pension and your working pattern, to name but a few. We also look after you if you face difficulties at work on an individual level – we support and represent you in all disciplinary and grievance matters. If a reorganisation is proposed, we act in your best interests by putting our backs into preserving as many jobs as possible. Where job loss is absolutely unavoidable, we ensure the process is fair and transparent and that your package is the best that can possibly be attained.
We robustly pursue your interests.
In the last 2-3 years alone, we have:
- Secured a pay rise every year during the worst recession seen in the UK for more than half a century – at a time when most employers were freezing pay.
- Ensured that the very favourable redundancy packages we negotiated before the recession hit were kept in place – again at a time when many employers were reverting to statutory rates.
Since 2007, the IDU has opened the doors to people working outside the AA – we are very pleased to welcome these newer members.
But we remember – always – that the IDU was built on AA members. You are the cornerstone of our organisation.
As well as representing your interests on a collective basis, as we have said, we also represent your interests individually in all employment matters. We will act for you and do everything possible to protect your job. We say many times on our website that prevention is better than cure – keeping your job is critical in tough economic circumstances.
Here are some more good reasons why you should join us:
- The union is led by a General Secretary and a President who know the AA like the back of their own hands.
- In addition, we have trade union representatives across the spectrum of jobs in the AA. This means we have hands-on knowledge of your working practices – this enables us to give the best representation and advice out there…so not only do we know our job – we know yours.
- Our skills and knowledge are second to none.
- We are responsive – we aim to respond straight away but within 24 hours at the bare minimum.
- We offer excellent value for money – we are unbeatable on cost for a high quality service.
You should also have a look at Why should I join the IDU?
Asbestos-related lung cancer claims and smoking
Asbestos is certainly a potential cause of lung cancer but around 85% of all lung cancers are believed to be caused by smoking. Many people therefore believe that making some sort of claim for compensation that will help them in easing the effects of their illness is not worth making, since they think a court …Read More...
Support for life – not just the claim
Leysa Jane Hardy is not an IDU member, but her case is a good example of the expertise and lifetime support IDU members can draw on in similar unfortunate circumstances. Paul Ashurst tells how she got the help she needed. Leysa was involved in an atrocious road traffic accident that left her with serious …Read More...